So here’s my weakness. Chocolate Chip Cookies. In fact, I’m SO weak for these that they almost didn’t last the length of this photo shoot! My only criteria for a good Chocolate Chip Cookie is as follows: Must be chewy (not crispy), must have LOTS of Chocolate Chips and must be undercooked by at least 2 full minutes. Go ahead…call me gross, but I LOVE a good under-cooked cookie. 😉
This recipe was one modified from one I had found on The Food Network Canada website. I, of course, tweaked it to suit my tastes and after my first batch made two weekends ago, I’ve officially proclaimed them to the The Yummiest Chocolate Chip Cookies! The great thing about this recipe is that when made the way I like them they are soft in the middle, just a teensy bit crispy on the outer edges, and contain enough chocolate chips to make the cookie to chocolate ratio a perfect one. And when you are a self-proclaimed cookie connoisseur like me, these things are important. According to the original recipe, what helps keep the centre chewy is the corn starch. Now, I’m no chemist or chef so I can’t confirm those claims, but for the sake of a ooey gooey centre, I’ll take it! 😉
The Yummiest Chocolate Chip Cookies:
3/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (we prefer milk chocolate, fair trade if possible!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer like me!), cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.
3. Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Using a standard tablespoon, drop dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 or 9 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. Or if you like to live on the edge like me, reduce that cooking time to 7 minutes baby!
5. Let cool, on the sheet, on a wire rack. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely before eating the ENTIRE pan to yourself. Because you will. And its really okay. I promise not to tell. 😉
Do you have a favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe? I’d love if you’d share yours in the comments section below!